Firmoo > Answers > Eye Health >  question


Ask questions



What to do if you get acetone in your eye?

I got a bit of acetone in my eyes when i do chemistry experiment. Will it cause any damages to my eyes? My eyes now feel uncomfortable. What shall i do now?
Related Topics : eye problems
Answer the question

Answers (5)

  • Jocelyn david


    Acetone is not strong acid or strong base, so it has very little impact on the eyes. But if eyes contact it, concentration in 500ppm will produce exciting, in 1000ppm will produce mild and temporary stimulus. Sometimes may even have poisoned exciting. Now, eyes are not comfortable, it is recommended washing your eyes over and over again with flowing water or saline flush. But do not rub your eyes with your hands! If you feel that affect vision, please do not hesitate to go to hospital.
  • fergus


    Well, calm down. Don't worry. Acetone is low in toxicity, which is also a natural product of our body's metabolism. A low concentration acetone can be break down by the liver transforming into non-harmful compounds. As for it enters into the eyes, what you need to do is rinse your eye again and again through out the remainder of the day dilating the veins around your eye to increase blood flow of that eye to get rid of the harmful substance. You need to make sure that there is no residue in your eyes. Do not flush with water. Milk is great. The normal range of our eyes ph is slightly acidic (6.8 - 6.9) and the pH of milk is 6.7, so it can actually works. Just for reference.
  • hill


    Acetone is a common industrial solvent and the simplest representative of the ketone group of solvents. Breathing moderate-to-high levels of acetone for short periods of time can cause eye irritation. If you accidentally get it into your eyes, it can cause permanent eye damage such like corneal clouding without properly treatment. Once the acetone get into your eyes, please flush your eyes with tap water with 10-15 minutes and repeat it until you feel better. If you do not have any other problem such as blurred vision, you do not need to seek medical attention. Hope this helpful.
  • Austin shelley


    Yes, permanent damage will be done to your eyes without proper first aid. You should rinse your eyes with clean running water immediately and wash your eyes for 15 to 20 minutes with your eyelids held open. If you are wearing contact lenses, wash your eyes and take out the lenses. Acetone is irritant to the eyes even with its vapor, not to mention the fluid. As a result of its irritation, you may suffer from redness, tears, and swollen eyes. If you still feel painful in your eyes after flushing for 15 minutes, go to see a doctor as soon as possible.
  • haven


    my sister got it in her eye I would proble sugjest that you wash/flush you eye out she cant see god but it helps the pain:)