Firmoo > Answers > Eye Doctor >  question


Ask questions

kathy humbert


eye infection

my mom has an rare eye infection from mold, she has had it for 1 months, what can she do for the pain and how long will the infection last? The doctor have her eye drops.
Answer the question

Answers (3)

  • Kelly


    Mold can cause both redness and watering of the eyes. Using the prescribed eye drops will make your mother better. However, Mold that penetrates the eye's interior also can cause endophthalmitis, though rarely, with most cases reported in tropical regions. The treatment of mold endophthalmitis typically involves a combination of vitrectomy, intravitreal and/or intracameral (into the anterior chamber) injection of an antifungal agent, removal of foreign materials (eg, intraocular lens), and systemic antifungal therapy. Corneal transplantation is indicated in some cases. No controlled trials of treatment regimens for mold endophthalmitis have been performed given its rarity. The evidence regarding the treatment of mold endophthalmitis comes from case reports and case series. Even with therapy, there is a high rate of loss of useful vision, but the prognosis may be improving with the availability of newer antifungal agents such as voriconazole.
  • b2sweet16


    When your eyes are exposed to substances like pollen or mold spores, they may become red, itchy and watery. If mold is an allergy trigger for you, recognize that high humidity can cause molds to grow. Aim to keep the humidity level in your home around 30 to 50 percent. Clean high-humidity areas like basements, bathrooms and kitchens frequently, and consider using a dehumidifier in particularly humid or moist places (such as a basement). Artificial tear drops can help relieve eye allergies temporarily by washing allergens from the eye. They also relieve dry, irritated eyes by adding moisture. These drops, available without a prescription, can be used as often as you need them. If you use the eye drops for an about 3 days and your mother does not feel better, you need to ask your doctor for help.
  • Luis lewis


    Molds produce irritating substances that may act as allergy causing substances in sensitive individuals. Allergic reactions to mold are the most common health effects of mold. Allergic reactions may happen immediately or develop after a period of time following exposure, such as watering eyes, redness of the eyes and itchy eyes. It is not possible to predict the degree of the severity of the health risks associated with mold in the home. Allergic individuals vary in their degree of susceptibility to mold, and the risk may also depend upon the extent and exact type of mold that is present.