Firmoo > Answers > Eye Exam >  question


Ask questions

Hunter jackson


Should I be having my eyes examined by an opthamologist or an optometrist?

Answer the question

Answers (3)

  • elstrider


    Depends what's wrong. If you only need a vision check, for possible glasses, then go to an optometrist, but if you have a problem, other than a vision problem, with your eyes, then you may need to see an ophthamologist, who is a doctor who specialises in eyes. But you'll need a referral from your GP first. So I'd go and see either an optometrist or GP first; they will let you know whether or not you should see the specialist.
  • catherinecraven


    If you live in Australia, Opthamologist are more specialized in eye examinations. They diagnose and can sometimes correct vision problems. But you will need a referral to see one & the visit may not be covered by Medicare. If you do need glasses or contacts then you can go see an optometrist and they can prescribe them for you. Most optometrists Bulk Bill so the consult will be covered by Medicare.
  • Dan Samberg


    Ophthalmologists provide comprehensive eye care, including medical, surgical and optical care. Optometrists are different from ophthalmologists. Optometrists may diagnose eye conditions; however, they are usually not licensed to perform surgical eye treatment it just depends what's the matter with you